June 28, 2008

Next Steps

Today I signed the contract for my job and was told by my boss that I made the right choice because the other three candidates were really disappointed they didn't get the job but also that he is very glad I did take the job. Yes! for making the right choice. Now, I am in the process of moving out, first I conquered the job situation and now I move on to finding an apartment! I plan to move out by the end of September, early October. My parents don't want me to move at all because they are scared for me, plus they don't understand that I hate commuting and getting up earlier than I have to and ALSO its also really expensive to buy a month metro north ticket and commuting from my house to the train instead of a month metro card pass and walking... Anyways, I'm not listening to them because I know how to be careful and stay safe, especially since I grew up here.

Right now, I'm just trying to figure out what areas I want to live in and can afford. I know just the place too, however, my parents disagree with me because not only will it "be safer" to commute, they think "i'm moving to a 'dangerous' area...BLAH! They prefer that if I really have to move, it should be to Upper West side or downtown SOHO (which is just TOO expensive for my salary range right now), and while I love the Upper West Side, I have a special spot in my heart for Wash Heights...I just love it here and I feel completely home here. In fact, till I was in 6th grade, I lived on 200 Dyckman St. and my parents had business there until a year and half ago. I've always loved the area (not the men who like to catcall to young girls, that I've always hated!! but I think thats where I learned to stay alert and cautious), and maybe because I was younger and perhaps I don't remember the dangerous parts, but its always been home to me and I've grown and changed alongside with the area. Washington Heights is very diverse (now) but majority of the population is Latino(a). Since I was little, my parents plotted to move out of the area, and move to a respectable and quiet area like Hartsdale. My parents seem to have disdain for the area and look down upon it. It seems they forget we used to call that place home, and I guess I think it weird because both my parents speak Spanish and had many friends in the area. When I tell them I want to move to this area, they act like they've never heard of it, and tell me how dangerous it is. (it's not! unless you're stupid...) It disappoints me they forget where we came from and can't understand why I love the area so much.

FYI: Speaking of moving, o'wise one has recently told me about Rentometer, a website that allows you to type in the area you live in and the apartment building number. It will then tell you if you are paying too much or if you found a great bargain!(It works in USA, Canada, and UK) This will be a handy tool when I move out. YIPPERS!

No comments: